Well, I was a very very bad boy today. I ordered the parts for my new game rig. This time, I decided to follow my own adivce. Buy what you want, top of the line even, so you won’t regret not getting it later just for the sake of a few bucks here and there. My real goal is the best game box I can get for a reasonable amount of cash, and something that will run Doom III and Half-Life2 without batting an eye with all of the fancy options turned on/up..
With that in mind, here she is:
- (1) Antec PLUS1080AMG Case (Already have one)
- (1) ATI Redeon 9700 Pro (Already have one)
- (1) Creative Labs Audigy2 Sound Card (Already have one)
- (1) Creative Labs Inspire 6600 6.1 Speakers (Already have one)
- (1) Asus P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard (800FSB)
- (1) Intel P4 3.0GHz (800FSB)
- (1) Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu CPU Cooler
- (2) OCZ 512MB (2×256MB) DDR PC3700 (DDR446) Dual Channel Gold Edition
- (2) Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA 10,000RPM Drives
- (2) Western Digital WD400JB 40GB ATA100 7200RPM Drives
- (1) Plextor 52×32×52 PlexWriter Premium CD-RW Drive
- (1) Lite-On 16/48 DVD/CD-ROM
- (2) SATA Power Cable Adapters
- (1) Wndows XP Professional (OEM)
The two SATA Raptors will be RAID0, the two EIDE drives will be RAID0, then both of those RAID0’s will be mirrored (RAID0+1).
Lucky for me, I snagged the Audigy2 card and the Inspire 6600 speakers a last month, on the last day that they both had a $30 rebated. :-)
I’ve seen posts on net where people have has this rig overclocked to ~3.5-3.7Ghz, yielding 16,500+ on 3DMark01 and insane Frames Per Second (400+) in QuakeIII and UT2003.
The woman is going to become a computer widow for a while once I get this machine assembled. There will be a whole lot of Jedi Outcast, Splinter Cell, Enter the Matrix, and Soldier of Fortune II going on.
I feel so dirty. :-)